- Endometriosis Surgery
- Hysteroscopic Surgery
- MD University of Auckland, New Zealand 2009
- FRCOG Fellow of the Royal College of Obstetricians & Gynaecologists (London, UK) 2007
- CREI Certificate in Reproductive Endocrinology & Infertility of the Royal Australian and New Zealand College of Obstetricians & Gynaecologists 2003
- FRANZCOG Fellow of the Royal Australian and New Zealand College of Obstetricians & Gynaecologists 1997
- MRANZCOG Member of the Royal Australian and New Zealand College of Obstetricians & Gynaecologists 1996
- MRCOG Member of the Royal College of Obstetricians and Gynaecologists (London, UK) 1995
- MRCGP Member of the Royal College of General Practitioners (London, UK) 1994
- DCH Diploma in Child Health of the Royal College of Physicians (London, UK) 1994
- DRCOG Diploma of the Royal College of Obstetricians & Gynaecologists (London, UK) 1991
- MBBS University of Newcastle Upon Tyne, UK 1988
- BMedSci (Hons) University of Newcastle Upon Tyne, UK 1987
Achievements and Awards
- 2017: Appointed as President of the World Endometriosis Society.
- 2014: Awarded Honorary Professorship in Reproductive Health at the University of Adelaide, Australia.
- 2014: Appointed as President Elect of the World Endometriosis Society.
- 2013 to date: Visiting Fellowship to University of Adelaide, through Professor Robert Norman, Director of The Robinson Institute.
- 2013: Appointment to Practice Committee of American Association of Gynecological Laparoscopists (AAGL).
- 2013: Co-author of first prize winner of the Auckland District Health Board Celebration week poster competition 2013 for poster √¢‚Ç¨ÀúA randomized controlled trial of fallopian sperm perfusion compared with standard intrauterine insemination for women with non-tubal infertility√¢‚Ç¨‚Ñ¢ (authors Farquhar CM, Brown J, Arroll N, Gupta D, Boothroyd CV, Al Bassam M, Moir J, Johnson NP.
- 2011: Appointment as Vice President of the World Endometriosis Society.
- 2011: Auckland University Medical Students√¢‚Ç¨‚Ñ¢ Association Award for the Best Lecture at Medical School from MBChB Class of 2011.
- 2010: Auckland University Medical Students√¢‚Ç¨‚Ñ¢ Association Award for the Best Lecture for MBChB Year 2.
- 2009: MD conferred by University of Auckland for thesis entitled √¢‚Ç¨ÀúLipiodol fertility enhancement√¢‚Ç¨‚Ñ¢
- 2009: Prize Lecture delivered on behalf of the Fertility Society of Australia, to the Joint Royal College of Obstetricians and Gynaecologists (RCOG) and British Fertility Society, London, UK, April 2009, entitled √¢‚Ç¨ÀúPCOSMIC Wars: Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome, Metformin for Infertility with Clomiphene√¢‚Ç¨‚Ñ¢.
- 2008: Award for Best Clinical Paper at the Fertility Society of Australia ASM (Brisbane, Australia) for √¢‚Ç¨ÀúPCOSMIC - PolyCystic Ovarian Syndrome, Metformin for Infertility with Clomiphene: a multi-centre randomised controlled trial√¢‚Ç¨‚Ñ¢. (The first time this award has been received twice by any clinician, 2003 and 2008.)
- 2008: Auckland University Medical Students√¢‚Ç¨‚Ñ¢ Association Award for the Best Lecture for MBChB Year 2.
- 2008: Auckland University Medical Students√¢‚Ç¨‚Ñ¢ Association Award for the Best Guest Lecturer for MBChB Year 2.
- 2008: Auckland University Medical Students√¢‚Ç¨‚Ñ¢ Association Award for the Best Entertainer for MBChB Year 2.
Associations and Memberships
- Convener of the √¢‚Ç¨ÀúWorld Endometriosis Society 2017 Vancouver Consensus on Patient Centered Outcomes in Endometriosis√¢‚Ç¨‚Ñ¢, Vancouver, Canada, May 2017.
- President Elect of the World Endometriosis Society 2014 to 2017.
- Convener of the √¢‚Ç¨ÀúWorld Endometriosis Society 2014 Sao Paulo Consensus on the Diagnosis and Classification of Endometriosis√¢‚Ç¨‚Ñ¢, Sao Paulo, Brazil, May 2014.
- Member of (2013 to date) and Visiting Professor to (2014 to date) The Robinson Institute, Adelaide, Australia.
- Member of the American Association of Gynecological Laparoscopists (AAGL) Practice Committee 2013 to date.
- Member of the World Health Organisation Expert Working Group on the Management of Subfertility - my role is to advise on the investigation of suspected endometriosis and unexplained infertility (2012 to date).
- RANZCOG accredited colposcopist 2012 to date.
- Convener of the √¢‚Ç¨ÀúWorld Endometriosis Society 2011 Montpellier Consensus on the Management of Endometriosis√¢‚Ç¨‚Ñ¢, Montpellier, France, September 2011.
- Editorial Board Member of Journal of Human Reproductive Sciences (2010 to date).
- Chairperson of the Organising Committee for RANZCOG Joint Meeting with the Asia Oceania Congress of Obstetrics & Gynaecology, Auckland, March 2009.
- Member of the European Society of Human Reproduction & Embryology (ESHRE) International Special Interest Group in Endometriosis & Endometrium (SIGEE).
- Associate Editor for the Australian & New Zealand Journal of Obstetrics & Gynaecology (ANZJOG) (2008 to date).
- World Endometriosis Society Board Member (invitation to join the board in 2008, to date).
- Supervising trainer of RANZCOG Trainees in Reproductive Endocrinology & Infertility (2007 to date).
- Research Director, shareholder and Deputy Medical Director of IVF-Auckland (2007 to date).
- Acceptance of an invitation from RANZCOG in 2005 to chair the organising committee for the RANZCOG Annual Scientific Meeting in Auckland in 2009.
- Advisor to Head of Department on departmental promotion applications to Associate Professor and Senior Lecturer above the bar respectively (2005).
- Member (2004 to date) of Certificate of Reproductive Endocrinology and Infertility RANZCOG Subspecialty Training Committee.
- Certificate of Reproductive Endocrinology and Infertility RANZCOG Examiner for subspecialty written (2004 to date) and oral (2004 to date) examinations.
- Certificate of Reproductive Endocrinology and Infertility RANZCOG Examination Committee Member and Member of RANZCOG Board of Examiners (2004 to date).
- Board member of Endometriosis New Zealand, formerly known as the New Zealand Endometriosis Foundation (2004 to date).
- Member of the Fertility Society of Australia (2003 to date).
- Member (1998 to date), External Peer Reviewer (1999 to date) and Editor (2000 to date) of the Cochrane Menstrual Disorders and Subfertility Group.
- Member of the Australian Gynaecological Endoscopy Society (2002 to date).
- Member of fertilityNZ (formerly known as the New Zealand Infertility Society) (2003 to date).
- Member of Appointment Committee for Postgraduate Chair in Obstetrics and Gynaecology (2002).
- Financial Convener and Organising Committee Member for the RANZCOG Annual Scientific Meeting (September 2003).
Auckland Gynaecology Group
105 Remuera Road
Remuera, Auckland 1050
- Reproductive Endocrinology & Infertility Subspecialist and Deputy Medical Director
105 Remuera Road
Remuera, Auckland 1050
- Honorary Professor in Reproductive Health
University of Adelaide, Australia
- Honorary Associate Professor in O&G
University of Auckland
Research Specialties / Career:
I have continued with my passionate interest in clinical research after leaving my full-time academic position at the University of Auckland in 2010. At 20 Feb 2016, I had 114 peer-reviewed journal publications including those in press (59 as first author). The following principles underpin my research program:
- Use of a wide repertoire of research methodologies to fully assesses a clinical intervention (for example with the lipiodol fertility treatment research programme):
- Definition of a research agenda for numerous clinical studies by systematic review work;
- Survey of patients and clinicians to assess acceptability and current practice;
- Laboratory based clinical studies of immuno-biological and molecular biological mechanisms of effect;
- Focus on and commitment to randomised controlled trials (RCTs) as the highest level of clinical evidence;
- Large observational studies of innovative treatments to confirm post-trial efficacy and to detect rare adverse events.
- Development of collaborations with science colleagues in order to support clinical work with laboratory-based scientific research;
- Establishment of an infertility clinical research collaboration between the major New Zealand and now Australasian clinical research centres.
- Establishment of Australasian and global consensus collaborations.
- Patient-centred engagement to attain consensus regarding appropriate research avenues.
Ongoing Research Projects
- Convenor of the Sao Paolo Consortium - Consensus on the diagnosis and classification of endometriosis.
- The LUBE Study: a pilot randomised trial of Lipiodol Uterine Bathing Effect, linking endometrial microarray and immunochemistry characteristics to clinical outcomes.
- The IVF-LUBE Study - Randomised Trial of Lipiodol Uterine Bathing Effect in women with endometriosis or repeat implantation failure undergoing IVF.